You probably already know that Amazon is going crazy.Today we will analyze how to make money on Amazon by diving into 6 different opportunities that you can use to enter the phenomenon of Amazon.com.
Amazon is the future of retail and it's unfolding right before our eyes.
What started as an online bookstore has now become a one-stop-shop for consumers.Also, people are starting to learn how to make money on Amazon while targeting third-party sellers in various ways.
In 2015, Amazon surpassed retail giant Walmart in size and value.
Amazon even broke their own record on Cyber Monday 2017, selling more products (hundreds of millions of them) than they ever had in a single day.
The trend of online shopping has also affected other traditional stores.According to this NASDAQ article, as the war between online and traditional retail enters a new round, the latter no longer hires as many employees.In addition, shopping centers nowadays are much emptier.
The reason for the shift in consumer behaviour stems from the power given to customers.At the time, they were at the mercy of retail stores as they drove from store to store, hoping to get the best value.Nowadays, consumers can sit at their home browsing different online stores.
The convenience of online shopping is evident in this Wall Street Journal article, as sales continue to grow every year since 2014.
More importantly, a survey of 2,000 people conducted by BloomReach reveals that 55% of users search Amazon first for their online shopping needs, 27% more than Google.
Now, you may be wondering, "What do all these mean to me? "
The above statistics only prove that there is serious money to be made on Amazon!
As the online shopping trend continues to become more of a fixture, you need to ride the Amazon wave before it's too late.
Today I will share how you can make money on Amazon… in 6 different ways.In fact, many people have earned thousands of dollars, some of which will be described below.
1. EARN AS AN AMAZON AFFILIATE
Amazon Associates is its affiliate program ("AKA Associate Program") that allows you to earn up to 10% per commission for each product you sell.Now, I've shared many examples of Amazon-affiliated websites; including all niche site projects.
Due to its ease of use and the fact that Amazon sells almost everything, it's an excellent way to enter the world of affiliate marketing.
After registering for free, you can start choosing which products to sell.To earn commissions, you need to enter your affiliate link to the product using a unique tracking ID when you sell it.This will credit the sale to your account.
Selling an Amazon product can be as simple as sharing the link on social media and on your blog.
However, becoming an Amazon affiliate takes time, effort, and a lot of planning.
In fact, I've covered a lot of articles that demonstrate the possibility of making a lot of money with Amazon Associates.
One such article illustrates how I managed to earn $3,000 a month per year after launching my niche site Amazon.
Let's talk about a couple of simple strategies you can use to start earning more Amazon affiliate commissions:
I quit my job to work on the Internet… and you can do it too
I've been earning online full time since 2011 and you can too.Subscribe below to start your journey as an Internet entrepreneur
We do not sell or share your information with anyone.
FOCUS ON HIGHER CATEGORIES OF THE COMMISSION
The amount of commission you receive from sales on Amazon has always varied.
In the past, it was based on volume.
So if I sent 10 sales to Amazon in a month, I could make a commission of 4.5%.But if I sent 2,000 sales to Amazon, I could earn 8% commission on all those sales.
In February 2017, Amazon significantly changed the fee structure, so the variable rate was based on the product category, not the sales volume you indicated.
Here's a look at the commission breakdown in January 2018:
As we've pointed out, you may have a niche toy website or blog that sends people to Amazon to buy the latest and greatest children's toys.When someone buys that new Disney character, you'll only get a 3% commission.
However, if you are promoting something like luggage or shoes, you will receive 7% of the sale.
This is a huge difference in the amount of money you can earn.
So, if you're still at the starting point and determining which niche to get into, look for one where you can take advantage of the higher commission levels.
USE AMAZON ONE LINK
Have you ever taken a look at your Google Analytics reports to see where your website visitors are?
You can assume (as I've been doing for a long time) that because you're in the US, targeting keywords based on Google numbers in the US and writing in "American English", pretty much all of your visitors are also in the US.
You might be surprised.
In Google Analytics, click on your "Audience," then look at the "Geo" report to see something like this:
Note on my site that less than 70% of visitors during this period were from the United States.
What I've found is that if your site is in English, you'll probably get quite a bit of traffic from the UK and Canada, as they share the same language.
The problem is that if your Canadian visitor clicks on your Amazon affiliate links for an Amazon USA product, they have to leave and go to Amazon Canada to buy it, which means you will no longer receive a commission.
I have been selling products on Amazon since 2014.
Do you want to know the search tool I have been using since I started (and still use it today)?Get my latest tips and how to guide you by using this tool.
AMAZON ONE LINK TO SAVE!
In 2017 Amazon released its own free solution to this problem, called One Link.It's simply a piece of code that you copy/paste into the footer of your website or blog, then Amazon will detect your visitor's country of origin and direct them to the appropriate place.
The best part is that you can still get a commission.
There are some initial steps you can take to do this, such as signing up for the Amazon Associates program in Canada and the UK, but it's a very simple process that could take 30 minutes.
If you're getting 10-15% of your traffic from these countries, it's worth doing this one-time setup.
Click here to learn more about installing One Link.
TARGET BUYER KEYWORDS
It's one thing to get people to click on your Amazon affiliate links, but it's another to get them to convert into a buyer.
One click doesn't earn you anything.
You only get paid when people buy something on Amazon.
Since the entire transaction is out of your control, you should worry about what you can control.
One of the easiest things to control is the keywords you're focusing on with your content.
In particular, writing articles on topics that suggest the intention of the buyer – AKA "buyer's keywords".
An example would be: "the best Samsung LED smart tv under $500".
This is much more specific and shows more buyer intent than a search such as "the best smart TVs".
Why is it better?
The main reason is because this researcher already knows what he wants.They want a Samsung.They want an LED Smart TV.They want to pay less than $500.
Now, when you write an article comparing only the models that meet their criteria, you can show only the most relevant results.
When the search is more generic like the "best smart TVs", you don't really even know if they have a brand in mind, if they need to stay within a certain price range, etc. – so your job of pairing them with a TV that will go directly to Amazon and that they buy is much more difficult.
So if you want to increase dial-up on your conversion rate, focus on more specific keywords.
- Research your niche – To maximize your earnings on Amazon, you need to create a site where you can sell products.More importantly, you need to determine the niche your site will be in.Some niches will be much more profitable than others.On the other hand, high-earning niches may not be in line with your hobbies or interests.Therefore, you need to find the perfect balance between profit and passio n so that you can sustain the site until it makes money.
- Find the right keywords: If you want to rank your website based on search results, you need to be aware that not all search queries are created equal.There are those that will be difficult to rank, but potentially give you the most sales.In this case, I always use Long Tail Pro to help me find profitable keywords with the least competition.
- Develop a link building strategy: To improve your search rankings, you need to come up with a plan for creating links using different tactics.Guest posting and influencer marketing are some of the best tactics you can use since both are on the shoulders of others' success.With guests posting on many follower sites, you can tap into its readers and have them visit your site in hopes of converting them.Plus, getting positive feedback from influencers in your industry allows you to rub some of their authority on your site.
Want more? Click here to read our complete guide to maximizing Amazon affiliate commissions.
If you want to start as an Amazon affiliate, you'll need a website.I have been using and loving Bluehost for a long time now.They offer cheap hosting, fast websites, and unbeatable customer support.
You can click here to try Bluehost.
2. HOW TO MAKE MONEY SELLING PRIVATE LABEL PRODUCTS THROUGH AMAZON FBA
I've been selling private label products through Amazon for a couple of years now.The potential to make money with the Amazon FBA program is huge (millions of dollars per year potential).
Simply put, you actually need to create a product, find a manufacturer, and start selling that product on Amazon.It's actually not as complicated as it sounds.
This method is different from retail arbitrage where you buy cheap products and sell them at a higher price.By selling private label products, you gain more control over how your products are sold.If you choose your products correctly, there is also less competition, thus giving you more profits in the long run.
Once you have the product handy, you can upload the details to Amazon so users can purchase it from there.
In addition to being the largest online retailer in the world, Amazon will take care of packaging and shipping your products to customers. Amazon fulfillments (FBA) make you worry about growing your business as it does the rest for your customers and at the same time scales your performance.
Selling private label products and Amazon FBA, I sold over $4,400 worth of product within 30 days.As things grew, I sold over $750,000 in the first 2 years of selling my products on Amazon.Eventually, I was able to sell the business for a payday of $425,000 after only being in business for 2 1/2 years.
I actually interviewed Chris Guthrie, another successful salesperson, about his process which you can hear here.We've also written a very in-depth guide to selling on Amazon here, if you'd like to take a deep dip.
Here are a couple of key points to get you started:
DO SOMETHING UNIQUE
It's so hard to sell "me too" products on Amazon in 2018. These are simple widgets (easy to delete) on which you simply slap your logo and say "I sell that too" (along with 274,000 other people).
It is very difficult to get noticed and gain traction when there is no discernible difference between the product and the competition.
Instead, you're better off finding some unique and desirable features or improvements you can make to an existing product so that you have a chance to stand out from the competition.
An easy way to get some ideas is to go to Amazon and start reading product reviews.Often buyers will leave really good constructive feedback on where a product is missing, which is a great opportunity for you to put those tips into practice with your own private label version of the same type of product.
Tip: You can search for reviews on Amazon for words like "Wish" (shown below) "Suggest" "Tip" "Improvement" and quickly find helpful reviews.
HAVING THE RIGHT TOOLS
You may have what you think is such a brilliant and stunning idea that it is sure to land you on Shark Tank in the next 12-24 months to make a lucrative deal with one of America's leading businessmen.
YOU WANT TO CREATE SMART AND RELEVANT INTERNAL LINKS… QUICKLY?
Link Whisper is a revolutionary tool that makes internal linking much faster, easier and more effective.Make it easy to boost your site's authority in the eyes of Google.You can use Link Whisper to:
- Show your orphaned content that isn't ranked
- Create smart, relevant, and fast internal links
- Simple but effective internal link reports: What has many links and which pages require more links?
Click here to revolutionize the way your site runs internal links
The problem is, unless we have reliable tools to evaluate our idea, we really have no idea how well it can sell on Amazon (or elsewhere).
So you owe it to yourself not to get too emotionally attached to your idea until you have verified it in some places.
- FBA Calculator: This free tool is useful for getting an estimate of how much your fees will be when you sell on Amazon.Simply find a product that is very similar in size to yours, enter a realistic retail price, and then click "calculate" to see how much you'll actually get.
- Helium 10 – We didn't start using it until late 2017, but it became our go-to product for demand research and competition on Amazon.There are a lot of features, but pay attention to the Cerebro tool that shows the ranking of your competitors, how often these terms are searched on Amazon, and approximately how difficult it will be to get your new product on page 1.
- Jungle Scout – This tool isn't perfect, but it's still a quick and easy way to get estimates of product sales volume on Amazon.Why is this important?If the No. 1 search result for your main keyword earns only $2,000 per month, is it worth the time and money to launch a product that caters to the same market?
- Choose a product that will sell: You need to conduct keywords and market research to see if your private label product will sell or not. WebRetailer provides a general checklist of factors that you need to consider when determining your product.
- Initially sell low – To gain traction from the market, sell your product for as little amount as possible.With a low barrier to entry, not only will people buy early, but they will also leave their reviews, which you can leverage for social proof and more sales in the future.
Want more? Click here to read our complete guide to selling on Amazon.
If you want to start selling on Amazon FBA, I've come to love Helium10.It helps you find the low fruits of opportunities that are easy to spot and profit from.You can steal your competitors' rankings, make more money and earn sooner.
Best of all?It's free.
Click here to try Helium10 for free.
3. HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON AMAZON FBA WITH RETAIL ARBITRAGE
As mentioned above, retail arbitrage allows you to determine market inefficiencies by marking low-cost products on Amazon.You can also consider online arbitrage with Amazon.
Some products are more expensive when sold on Amazon due to factors such as availability in your region, convenience in buying from Amazon, and others.
Unlike private label products, retail arbitrage products are products that already exist and readily available in local retail stores.All you have to do is buy them and ship them to be sold on Amazon.You can get the benefit once users buy them.
RETAIL ARBITRAGE EXAMPLE
Perhaps an easy way to illustrate this would be to share a real-life example.
Skyline Chili is a Cincinnati-based restaurant that also sells their products in local grocery stores.Skyline is one of those places that if you visit Cincinnati, everyone will tell you you have to try it.
If you like it, you're probably unlucky to buy it when you come home to Boston, or wherever you live.So, if you're going to shop online, you'll probably look for Amazon first?
So, in this example, 4 Skyline packs sell for $24.99 on Amazon, but here in our local grocery stores like Sam's Club, we can get them for about $11 – $12.
In the retail arbitrage game, I know I can buy for $12 and sell for $25, and be able to make a few dollars of profit for myself after all the Amazon taxes.
BENEFITS OF RETAIL ARBITRAGE
One of the biggest benefits of retail arbitrage is that you can REALLY start small if you want.You can find a great deal on a toy or personal care item at your local Target and buy just one, submit it to Amazon FBA and sell it at a premium price.
Another advantage is that you can get started today!
There's no need to wait for product samples, design logos, and all the other things that make launching a private label product so time-consuming.In this case, if you can find great deals in your local stores on products that people already buy on Amazon, that's pretty much all you need.
DISADVANTAGES OF RETAIL ARBITRAGE
There are also disadvantages to retail arbitrage.
One of the biggest is that the competition changes so quickly.To go back to my Skyline example – let's say if I sell my products for $24.99 I'm earning $3 in net profit per sale.
What if one of my competing sellers finds a better deal or is willing to take less to have the purchase box on Amazon and decides they will sell for $22.99?Now I have to match or beat that price to stay competitive, or just wait and hope they run out.
The same is true when Amazon starts selling a product against you.The best retail arbitrage opportunities are when you are competing with other third-party sellers, because they are a level playing field.However, if Amazon has decided that Skyline Chili sells so well that you want to start buying and selling it directly, it will likely have a similar retail price to your local store.
Imagine if you bought 100 units to sell and out of nowhere you are competing against Amazon which can offer a much lower price!This is the risky nature of retail arbitrage.
Despite the drawbacks, retail arbitrage is still a great side hustle and a fantastic way to get you into the Amazon seller ecosystem.I know people who accomplish what many would consider a full-time life simply by doing retail arbitrage.Like everything else, the more you do this, the better you can find deals and perhaps more importantly, avoiding negative offers.
- Use a scanning app: Instead of manually doing your research, tools like Inventory Lab let you find out how much money you can make before you buy the product.You'll definitely sound a little weird walking around a store and scanning barcodes, but I'd rather look weird than find out that I'm going to lose money trying to sell that product on Amazon.
- Gateway to Private Label Products – Truth be told, you probably won't make as much in retail arbitrage as you would sell your products.At best, this approach is a great way to familiarize yourself with how to sell products on Amazon.Eventually, you'll want to earn more, which will encourage you to switch from this method to a more profitable one.
4. HOW TO MAKE MONEY DROPSHIPPING SELLING FBM ON AMAZON
If you choose to broadcast Amazon's FBA program, you may consider fulfilling your orders yourself.This is called Fulfilled By Merchant (FBM).
If you choose to sell and fulfill orders yourself, you will get a much larger share of the profits.
Here's a breakdown of Amazon's current fees for FBA sellers.
You can see that Amazon not only charges you to sell the item, but also charges you to keep it in stock.This can cut FBA profits in a big way.
What can be done?
Go to Amazon FBA and ship your products from your home.This isn't easy to scale, but it can be a huge money saver if you're just starting out.Get ready for much more work than Amazon FBA.
But you can also expect a bigger chunk of the profits.
This is a good option for those starting out or for someone who wants a closer product.You can keep in touch with your customers, do your own promotion, and harness Amazon's power to sell your product.
- Avoid FBA costs – Amazon FBA charges you a pretty hefty portion for everything you sell on the platform.From storage to actual commissions, they receive a large commission for all your sales.You can avoid this by dropshipping from your home
- Higher workload: Fulfilling orders through FBM will be a bit more challenging.You'll need to take care of product shipping, contact customers for reviews, and manage returns.But the potential gain can be worth it.
If you want to start selling on Amazon, I've come to love Helium10.It helps you find the low fruits of opportunities that are easy to spot and profit from.You can steal your competitors' rankings, make more money and earn sooner.
Best of all?It's free.
HOW I BUILT A NICHE SITE THAT EARNS $2,985 PER MONTH
You want to start a niche site that can bring in $3,000 per month… or more?Here I discuss:
- The tools you'll need
- How to get started with a budget
- The best way to generate income quickly
Interested? Click here to learn how to start your own revenue-generating niche site.
Click here to try Helium10 for free.
5. MERCH DI AMAZON
Merch by Amazon is the online retail store's answer to sites like Etsy and Zazzle.You upload your design to the platform and use its promotional tools to make sales and profits.
While its competition has a bigger foothold in the market due to years of existence, Amazon's Merch holds the advantage of millions of Amazon users at its disposal.The designs will be searchable by Amazon, which attracts the attention of existing Amazon customers.
At this time, Amazon's Merch is not open to the public.You can only sign up and request an invitation in hopes of getting an account soon.
For a rundown on how to make this business work, I'd suggest checking out this Niche Pursuits guest post on how Neil started making over $10,000 a month selling T-shirts on Amazon.
- Search for your t-shirt niche T-shirt search software like Merch Informer will help you organize your data and provide metrics so you can identify which t-shirt templates to sell.
- Use optimized colors for T-shirts (or other products) – According to the case study, the four most popular T-shirt colors ordered in the display are black, blue, gray, and navy blue.Make your design compatible with these colors to increase the chances of people buying your design.
- Find keywords on titles and bullet points: Find the keywords that are most relevant to your design and include them in both sections of the product detail page.Also, put yourself in your customers' shoes to know the keywords to type that will give you the desired results.
- Get the right designer: Find designers on UpWork to get the maximum profit for your money.To attract good designers, be as detailed as possible in the description of your project.Also, promise them constant work over time and give 5-star reviews if you like their work.
6. EARN BOOKS WITH SELF-PUBLISHING THROUGH AMAZON KINDLE
Freelance writers struggle with the problem of clients.They need clients who will provide them with paid work.Without clients, writing will be nothing more than a hobby for them.
The Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing allows writers to profit from their self-published work without relying on clients for their income.You need to upload your work to Amazon and sell the book from there.Now, of course, you need to start marketing your book.Most books don't sell unless you promote it and start getting reviews.
If you want to see the steps I recommend for launching a book on Amazon Kindle, read this guide I wrote: How I Earned $100 a Day Self-Publishing a Kindle Book on Amazon.
- Use your book as a lead generation tool: Create a page on your site that gives buyers of your book access to free resources relevant to the topic of the book.Link to the page on the first few pages of your book.To download the assets, they must first enter their name and email.
- Prepare a follow-up book: The real profitability as an Amazon Kindle publisher lies in your ability to publish more than one book.The idea is to build a library of books linked together to increase your reader's chances of buying another title from you.
- Develop a smart pricing strategy: After listing your self-published book, introduce it to the market for free in its early days to gain traction.You can proceed with price markup for less than a dollar for a week to raise interest.Once you feel that the hype has peaked, raise the price back to its normal price.
7. AMAZON FLEX
Amazon Flex is a program where you can deliver packages for Amazon.Here's how most same-day Amazon deliveries in cities happen.
You can make around $18-$25 per hour with Amazon Flex, which is really great.There are delivery opportunities for Amazon 7 days a week in many places and you choose your own schedule.
To get started, sign up for Amazon Flex.You'll use an app on your phone to set your shifts.The app allows you to scan your packages, pick them up, reach your destination, and check your earnings.
Any car works if you are delivering for Prime Now but some jobs may require a 4-door sedan or larger.Amazon works with you on this and assures you that you're only delivering packages that your car can handle.
8. WORK ON AMAZON SERVICES
Amazon Services is Amazon's answer to popular websites like Craigslist or TaskRabbit.Amazon Services is a place where shoppers can find all kinds of people.
You can put your services as a carpenter, plumber or even as a furniture engine.There are tons of services available to choose from when applying.
This is a great option for someone who has a skill but doesn't like having a boss.It's a great way to allow you to use your useful skills as a side concert.You can choose your skills, choose your jobs, and work whenever you want, so it's ideal if you need a flexible schedule.Amazon takes about 15-20% from any listing, so you don't get the full cut.
But you get your services in front of millions of people in a trusted market.It's worth a lot.
You can request Amazon services here.Once approved, log in to the app where you can choose your jobs, set your schedule, and get paid.
- Work as a side or full-time gig: Amazon Services lets you choose your own schedule, so you can do it whenever you want.
- Do what you do best: This platform allows you to leverage your existing skills so you can bring your talent to those who need it
9. WORK ON AMAZON HANDMADE
Amazon Handmade is similar to Amazon services, but is more like Etsy in the way it works.You can't use kits or factories to work on Amazon Handmade.Everything you sell must be done by you or one of your employees – by hand.
The handmade is similar to Etsy but has its strengths and weaknesses.With Amazon Handmade you have access to a huge audience of shoppers.There is no place on the internet where you can attract more people to view your product.
But the fees are much higher than what Etsy will charge you.Etsy gets 3.5% of every product sale and charges you $0.50 each time you list an item.Handmade charges you 15% plus $1 every time someone buys from you.
If you sell an item for less than $20, this represents a 20% reduction on everything you sell.It's heavy, but this can be a second revenue stream if you make things.You can leverage this marketplace and Etsy in a way that is diversified.
Worth applying if you are smart.
- Alternative to Etsy – Amazon Handmade is a good choice if you want to start selling crafts or diversify your income.Their fees are higher than Etsy, but you can access a larger market.
- Large buyer pool: No website gets more shoppers than Amazon.This is a great choice if you want to make your product known to many people.
10. WORKING FROM HOME, AS A STUDENT OR IN FULFILLMENT
Amazon is one of the largest companies in the world, so they are also one of the companies with the highest number of employees in the world.There are tons of opportunities to work for Amazon and help people get what they want.
Amazon has a lot of work from housework.This could be anything from a web designer to customer support to sales staff for their subsidiary.This is a good option if you have a computer and don't like going to the office (but really, who does?)
If you are a student, there are many internship opportunities, part-time jobs and there are some full-time jobs available.
Given that Amazon is the largest package shipper in the world, I don't have to tell you that there are tons of jobs in fulfillment centers.These don't sound fun about Undercover Boss, but a job is a job and you'll make a difference for millions of customers.
You can check out Amazon's list of available jobs if you're interested.They always have an opening for something.
- Amazon has so many opportunities: Amazon is one of the largest companies in the world and is expanding like crazy.There are always jobs available
- Work the way you want – Some opportunities pay better than others, but there's something here for everyone.You can work from home, get involved as a student, or enter one of Amazon's always-rent warehouses
11. GET PAID FOR TASKS ON MECHANICAL TURK
If you dress like a busy bee, then Mechanical Turk is for you.
The platform is best used by small business owners and entrepreneurs looking for a quick solution for menial businesses.Mechanical Turk gives you access to people who will help you do the work cheaply.
However, if you are looking to make money through Mechanical Turk, it is easy to register and start working.You probably won't make a lot of money doing these simple tasks that often pay just 10 cents or so, but it could be an easy way to save some money to start a business.(I've discussed saving up to starting a business recently as a great way to go).
Michael Naab wrote a post to the Side Hustle Nation about how he was able to earn $150-300 per week as an MT user.So, the potential is there to earn some extra money for sure.
- Work harder to earn more: Higher-paying jobs will only be available to users who have completed many jobs using the platform (starting at 100 jobs).Therefore, you need to spend time and effort before reaping the rewards of hard work.
- Work more as a supplement to your current job – As mentioned in the link above, Mechanical Turk will pay less than the minimum wage in most cases.If you want to turn this gig into a full-time job, then be prepared to burn the hours by answering surveys and doing data entry work.However, if you're just looking for productivity ways to spend your extra time, then Mechanical Turk might be for you.
Amazon has proven to be a critical factor not only for shoppers, but also for business owners and online marketers.
It changed the landscape of commerce and provided a platform for people to get creative and make money using the platform.
Luckily, as a business owner looking to replace a full-time job or a braggart who just wants some extra money, you have a number of different ways to get in on the action, and hopefully, you now feel more confident about how to make money on Amazon.
Have you tried any way to make money on Amazon listed above?What were the results and how do you think you could have done it better?Share your answers with me by commenting below!