As you're about to find out, the old adage "it takes money to make money" isn't always true.There are many ways to make money online without investment, from remote work jobs to being an independent contractor or freelancer.
There are pros and cons of both, which we will cover in the following sections.No matter which route you choose, you'll get the benefits of working from home.Aside from the obvious ones — no cramped boxes or long commutes — you might be more productive and fulfilled working from home, as per a 2015 Stanford University study.
The study showed that people who work from home experience a noticeable increase in productivity compared to those who work in a traditional office.According to the study: "Work at home led to a 13% increase in performance, of which 9% resulted from working more minutes per shift (fewer breaks and sick days) and 4% from more calls per minute (attributed to quieter and more convenient work environment)."
First, we'll cover how you can make money online with remote jobs.Next, we'll dive into some of the most popular options for someone looking to make money online with freelance jobs.Both have advantages, as you'll see.
Make money online with remote jobs
If you are already used to working and want to see how to make money online without investments or, better yet, be the other where people invest, start with remote work.You'll get all the benefits that traditional job holders have, from healthcare and a predictable salary to paid time off and camaraderie through your team.In addition, many companies on this list will invest heavily in post-employment training.The following companies represent some of the best remote work opportunities.
- Shopify is an ecommerce company with remote specialists working all over the world.Available positions vary, from general customer support to Senior Partnerships Manager roles.According to Shopify, "Our remote specialists work from North America (Canada, US, Mexico), Europe (Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, UK), Asia (China, Hong Kong, Japan, India, Philippines, Vietnam), Australia, and New Zealand. "
- Buffer is a social media management company with a fully remote team spread across dozens of countries and 11 time zones.From unlimited leisure and stock options to a free laptop and learning salary, Buffer is an amazing opportunity for those looking for remote work.
- Cisco is a name you've probably heard before.A global IT leader in the Fortune 500, Cisco employees tens of thousands of people from every corner of the globe, at various skill levels, can do everything from general customer support to various leadership roles.
- DuckDuckGo is a popular search engine that, unlike Google, does not track users.Just like the other names on this list, DuckDuckGo is a popular and fast-growing company with no shortage of great employee benefits.They have workers all over the world and are far from the typical closed office environment.
- Intuit is a financial and commercial software company.If you've ever used money management software or taxes stored online, chances are you've used an Intuit product or service.And, if you have a background in professional services such as taxes or accounting, this could be a particularly lucrative job from home opportunities.
- Kaplan is a student education company that runs over 100 different tests.Employees come from a variety of industries and industries, not just education.Like others, opportunities vary in skill and complexity, from entry-level remote jobs to senior leadership roles.
- Mozilla is another name you've probably heard.And, if not, you've probably used their web browser, Firefox.In addition to competitive salaries in the market and cash-based incentives, they offer a full set of benefits.
- Zendesk is a leading customer support software and support system used by more than 200,000 organizations worldwide. Above all, the company places a strong emphasis on family, friends – and taking care of yourself – through healthy work hours and other benefits.As you might expect, they always take on customer service roles.
Make money online with freelance jobs
Freelance work can be fulfilling and extremely lucrative, but it comes with some additional responsibilities, such as tax filing, accounting, sales, invoice management, and more.But, if you're up to the task, freelance jobs are some of the best ways to take control of your financial life and, of course, make money online without investment.
The following are popular outlets for freelancers looking to get started. In a perfect world, leverage your personal network to build your brand and start your own freelancer business.But, if you start from scratch, you can always dive into these markets for immediate business and get a feel for the job.
- Fiverr is one of the best independent websites in the world.Did you know that a new concert is purchased every 5 seconds on Fiverr?It has exploded in popularity over the years, and over 25 million projects have been completed since the company opened its doors.Everyone from writers and video editors to developers and voice-over artists makes a living.
- Upwork is another of the best freelance websites in the world and is used by companies like Dropbox, Airbnb, and others.Here demand is high and customers are not afraid to pay a lot for good quality work.As a bonus, Upwork helps you organize things for you via their mobile app, monthly financial statements, and more.It is one of the best resources for both the self-employed and those seeking to hire them.
- Freelancer.com is another world-class independent marketplace.With a 95% rehire rate, most people are happy to rehire here.With over 14 million jobs and 24/7 support for both freelancers and job posters, it's a great place to get your feet wet, learn what's required, and how to handle the job.
- 99 Designs is a great destination for designers who want to start freelancing.Contests are lucrative and 99 Designs has served over 500,000 customers since they opened their doors.If it's design-related, start here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Make Money Online
One of the biggest questions people have about working from home and making money online is… loneliness.Well, if you think you're alone, think again: in the United States, the number of people working from home over the past 30 years has more than tripled, and people telecommuting have all kinds of jobs.
These jobs involve everything from programming and management to reality, writing, collecting online surveys, and much more.There really is a dizzying range of options available for anyone looking to work from home.In fact, now is probably the best time in all of human history to go down this road.
Our recommendation?Become part of several independent communities – this way – and don't be afraid to look for mentors, help, or just friends to talk to about the work you're doing.